How To Repair Leaky Pipes
Find out what to do if your plumbing springs a leak and you need a quick fix. Learn how to fix your leaking pipe with a temporary or semi-permanent patch repair kit, or pipe repair couplings. See how to repair pipes with fiberglass or epoxy patch repair kits, self-fusing silicone rescue tape, pipe repair couplings or push fittings.
Step 1: Find the source of the leak
Find the leak to see if it is in the middle of a pipe run, or in a joint.
Step 2: Repairing leaks at joint connections
There are several good temporary options for repairing leaks at joint connections:
1. Fiberglass and epoxy repair patches
2. Epoxy putty
3. Fiberglass wrap
4. Self-Fusing silicone tape
Step 3: Repairing leaks in the middle of a pipe run
Here are good temporary options for repairing leaks in the middle of a run:
1. Repair clamps
2. Compression coupling
3. Push fittings
- Don’t put off permanent repairs
- Check product instructions
- Is it drinking-water safe?
- Will it work with existing pipes?
- Have a licensed pro repair gas pipes