Smoking is an easy and delicious way to prepare your Thanksgiving turkey. An electric smoker cooks the turkey low and slow (very low temperature for a very long time) so it doesn’t ever dry out- it’s continually basting itself. Then the smoke infuses awesome flavor into the turkey- it’s a guaranteed winner on your Thanksgiving table.
At Weaver’s Ace Hardware Fleetwood & Douglassville, we stock the Masterbuilt Digital Electric Smoker. Simply plug the smoker in, set the digital controls, and it does the work.
Here are some the features of the smoker:
- Digital panel controls- on/off, temperature, and time
- Four chrome-coated smoking racks and two additional accessory racks
- Built-in meat probe thermometer for perfect results every time
- Patented side wood chip loading system- add chips without opening the smoker door
- Integrated thermostat temperature control for even, consistent smoking
- Fully-insulated smoker body
- 800-watt heating element for even, consistent smoking
- Adjustable air damper for smoke control
- Removable drip pan for easy clean-up
- Removable water bowl – adds moisture and flavor
Masterbuilt offers some great tips and recipes for a whole smoked turkey. Visit Masterbuilt for more information. And follow these helpful prep tips from Masterbuilt:
- Buy a turkey that fits inside the smoker (max 25 lb turkey for this model)
- Thaw the turkey completely and slowly. If you purchase a frozen turkey, place it in a large pan in the refrigerator with the wrapping still on it. It will take approximately 2 to 3 days to completely thaw. Do not leave it out on countertop to thaw more quickly.
- Remove the neck and giblets.
- Don’t buy a pre-brined or already seasoned bird because it can become overly salty or waterlogged. If you do brine (which you don’t have to brine) use ½ cup of salt and ½ cup sugar to every gallon of water and completely submerge the bird. Allow turkey to sit in brine for 12 to 14 hours.
- Rinse and dry. Whether or not, thoroughly rinse the bird under cool running water. With plenty of paper towels, pat the inside and outside of the turkey until it is completely dry.
Here’s Masterbuilt’s Recipe For Herb Rubbed Smoked Turkey Recipe.
- 12 to 14 pound turkey, prepared as directed above.
- 2 TBS dried thyme
- 1 TBS powdered sage
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- 2 tsps paprika
- 2 tsps sea salt
- 1-1/2 tsps cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp onion or garlic powder (optional)
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup water
- Apple or pecan wood chips
Prep Time: 30 min & Cook Time: 6 hours
- Preheat the smoker to 225° F
- In a small bowl, mix together all the dry herbs and spices. Rub the interior cavity of the turkey with 1/3 of the dry seasonings.
- Add the EVOO and orange zest to the rest of the seasonings and rub all over the outside of the turkey.
- Place the water and apple cider in the water pan in the bottom of the smoker, filling it only half way. Place a drip pan on the next shelf above the water pan to collect drippings from the turkey. Fill the side drawer with the wood chips.
- Tuck the wing tips tightly beneath the turkey. Place the seasoned the turkey on the middle rack of the smoker, close the door, and set a timer for approximately 6.5 hours. The turkey should smoke for 30 to 40 minutes per pound, until the inside temperature reaches 165°
- Check every hour for smoke. Add wood chips even if you don’t see any smoke. Start checking the internal temperature of the bird after 3 hours and every 45 minutes with an accurate meat thermometer or use the probe thermometer that came with your smoker.
- Remove the cooked turkey to a cutting board and allow it to rest for a minimum of 20 minutes to 2 hours before carving.