Whether you already have a paint color in mind or you are starting from scratch, here are some tips to help you choose the right paint color for you. The most important thing to remember is to trust your instinct- paint is a personal decision and if it makes you feel good, then you should go with it!
- Think about the mood you are trying to create – calming or energizing. Typically rich, deep colors create atmosphere and ambiance, while lighter shades create a relaxing, airy feel.
- Get inspired by your surroundings whether it is artwork or furniture or textiles. Most of you might have already searched results for how to mix and match bedroom furniture or something similar. You can optimize such inspirations to use these items as the basis for choosing your paint color.
- Balance the colors you choose with the function of the room- for example bedrooms should be a place of comfort, rest, and relaxation so you would choose lighter colors like blues whereas kitchens should be energizing and can use a bolder color like orange.
- Choose 2-3 test paint colors to bring home in sample sizes. Paint 2 coats so you can see the true color and try it on several walls. Our Paint Department offers samples for $4.99.
- Remember that lighting, the size of room, and adjacent colors will affect how the paint color looks on your walls. As a general rule, it is best to use the “greyer” and more muted version of a color in a room with large expanses, large furniture, and to create a more lasting, timeless look. It’s best to use the brighter shade of a color in uncluttered spaces with white furniture and to create a trendy look.
- It’s important to choose complementary colors. You can use pre-selected color palettes or brochures with color combinations chosen by designers. Both are available in our Paint Department.
- Balance color proportions- the dominant color should account for 60% and then limit yourself to 2 other accent colors. Remember white goes with everything. And let nature inspire you as nature never gets proportions wrong.
- The Paint Studio is a great resource for researching paint colors and mixing and matching.
Please stop in and visit with one of our expert paint associates and they would be happy to answer any questions you may have about paint color.