Woodworking is a fun and rewarding hobby where you can be creative and work with your hands. You can build anything from birdhouses to doll houses to games to tables.
To help with your woodworking projects, it’s important to have the right set of tools. To help you get you started here is a list 5 Essential Tools For Hobbies & Crafts from Lou Manfredini, Ace’s Home Expert.
1. Clamps – You need a collection of clamps from light to medium to heavy duty pressure. At least a pair of each type in varying sizes.
- Pipe Clamps – For large woodworking glue-ups or where you need to apply firm pressure
- Bar Clamps & Spring Clamps – To hold objects onto your work surface as you cut, solder, and carve. Look for quick release features.
- Band Clamp – Wraps around the object to apply tension on all sides. Handy for gluing up oddly-shaped items or repairing furniture legs.
- C-Clamps – For heavy duty force. You’ll want an assortment of sizes.
2. Handsaws – A lightweight saw with interchangeable blades along with a heavier duty universal saw will your go-tos for cutting different types of materials from wood to metal to plastic.
- Universal Hand Saw
- 3-in-1 Hand Saw
3. Marking & Measuring Tools – Woodworking requires precision so measuring tools with built-in shortcuts that help prevent mistakes are a good choice.
- Measuring Tape – Use one that has markings that help you find the center or that go down to 1/32nd of an inch
- Speed Square – Saves time making saw cuts, scribing a line, squaring off an edge, or drawing an angle
4. Rotary Tool (with assortment of attachments) – By switching the tip, you can engrave, etch, shape, and contour
5. Micro Pliers – Great for untangling necklaces, repairing broken toys, and handling miniature objects.
All of these tools are available in our Tools Department. One of our associates would be happy to assist you in choosing the right tools for your next woodworking projects.
For more information, visit the Ace Hardware Homeplace Magazine.